Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Vanessa de Carvalho Oliveira -- Chile (host club: Albany)



September 24, 2012
Host: RC of Albany

Sponsor RC: RC São José dos Pinhais Colônia Murici, Chile
Current Host Family: Tommy Holecek and Marianne Maloy


            During the past month here I have already had some of the best experiences of my life such as swimming in a lake that was freezing. My health is good with no major issues. My host family is truly loving and have embraced me in their family even before I got in the airport which has for sure made a huge difference in exchange.
            I went to school every single day with the exception of today due to a migraine. I have started cheerleading that has captivated me. I already had made friends from school before the classes started since one of my host sisters is a senior just like me. So since day one I have had friends who helped me finding my way in Albany High School and that made me feel welcomed.
            I sadly didn’t attend any Rotary meetings however I met my counselor in my second week in the US when he came to home to meet me and discuss the rules and to clarify any doubts that I may had. I received my US$ 75 allowance on September 12th.
            I have joined a program in my school called Peer To Peer in which I work as Peer Mentor. My duty is to help assigned kids that suffer from Autism in the way they relate to people and finding their way around school.

No comments: