Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Aubrey Racz -- Ecuador

September 8, 2012

Aubrey Racz   
Host: 4400 Portoviejo
Sponser: 7190, Southern Rensselaer Rotary
Host Family: Medina
Counselor: Pepe Lara

Ecuador is AWESOME!!! I am doing great, and my health is really good too. My host family is super nice and we get along really well. I have met almost everyone in their family and they have taken me to the nearby beach!! I am very comfortable here. I have my own bedroom and bathroom which helps a lot! The school I go to, Cruz del Norte, is great too. My classmates are a little bit crazy, but they make being at school fun. The first week I was here, the school took a week off from classes and did their own version of the Olympics. I was on team Italy...we came in 5th out of 6 teams :[ but it was still really fun. The next week we had classes, I have been to all of them. I will however miss next week because I have to go to the language camp. I definitely feel accepted by the students. They are all really nice and patient with us (there are about 12 exchange students in my school) since we don't really know the language that well. As of now, I have not participated in any activities outside of school, but my host mom mentioned something about playing basketball at night at the school so I am looking into that.

The first Friday I was here, I attended a Rotary party. The next Sunday, I spent the day with my counselor and his family at his parents beach house. The last time I saw him was at the Rotary meeting on Wednesday the 5th. At this meeting on Wednesday, I got my first allowance of 80 dollars. I think my relationship with both my counselor and host club is excellent.
One Saturday night I had a cool experience. My family and I went to a "funeral." It was very different from home. Everyone sat in chairs and recited the whole rosary. Then they give a plate of food to everyone. And then that was it. Much different from home and it was really cool to experience.

I have no concerns!! Hope all is well in New York!!

No comments: