Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chris Allison -- Venezuela

September 10, 2012
 
Host Family: Frediani;  Coro, Venezuela
Host Club: 4380
7190 Sponsoring Club:  Salem Rotary

I have only been here 3 days and as such have not participated in any Rotary or school functions.

I feel great.
 
I have only been here 3 days, but its awesome.  Venezuela is great.  Caracas is a jaw dropping city built into the side of the steepest mountain I have ever seen.  Chavez's face is posted everywhere and there are many political demonstrations for the upcoming election.
On the way back to my town (Coro) we drove through tropical jungles, around the edge of near vertical mountains, and past deserted tropical beaches with no one insight for miles.  In Coro I am 15 minutes from the ocean, 1 hour from the beach (which is apparently much better than the just the ocean), and 1 hour away from mountains covered in what I can only describe as dry jungle.  I am also only a few minutes away from the Coro Dune National Park, a desert with towering dunes that roles on for miles.

I speak better spanish than I thought I did and can carry on a pretty good conversation if the other person talks slowly.  At the end of the day its hard to think or write complex sentences in English.

I don't start school for another two weeks but apparently there are sports and other activities to do beforehand.  Hopefully I will find out more about them sometime this week.

No comments: