Saturday, January 30, 2016

Victoria Herdegen -- Australia (Home Club: Delmar)

January 29, 2016

After officially booking a return date on July 15, this past month has marked my exchange halfway. It is very sad. These past 6 months have gone by so fast. They were filled with so many fantastic moments and hard moments and I have learned so much! The most depressing part is that I reckon these last 6 months will go by even faster.
This past month was great as my host sister and I found so many great things to do with each other to fill these summer days. We have become super close friends and I don't want to leave her. It has been so hot but its oddly been a rainy summer as well. Bush fires have started up in so many places mainly along the Great Ocean Road because of all the dry heat and wind. 
This month was also exciting as I got to travel down to Melbourne and watch some of the tennis matches at the Australian Open live from 5 rows back. The Australian Open is a major tennis competition that people from all over the world compete in. Its been going on for ten days now and we are almost down to the final 2 competitors. 
January 26th I got to celebrate this beautiful country as it was Australia Day!! Australians aren't really prideful, or at least not as prideful as America. No one really focuses on the day. There are no parties or fireworks. Australia Day is actually a controversy here because a lot of people think celebrating Australia day is disrespectful to the aboriginals who first inhabited the land. The Rotary club of Sale held a BBQ in the park where the mayor was able to pledge 22 people who became Australian citizens. 
Just yesterday was the first day back to school and it was a great day. Rollover at the end of the year last year is actually the smartest thing because it takes away all the build up, suspense and nerves you get before the first day of school. It just makes it feel like another break and then your back to school. It made everyone settle right in and comfortably get back into routine. I like it. There is so much to look forward to in my 6 months of year 11. 

Thank you so much for the opportunity to go on exchange to Australia. I have loved every hard and amazing part of it!! 

Regards,
Torri 

                                 Me celebrating Australia Day!


                           Walking to school with my host sister, Chloe, on my first day on year 11 !!

No comments: