Saturday, January 30, 2016

Shay Benedetto -- Brazil (Home Club: Glens Falls)

January 28, 2016

Sorry for the late update, my phone was stolen here and my family and I were in another city where I was unable to access internet. I'm very well settled in here and I couldn't have asked for a better host family to have for the first half of my exchange.

The school year ended in December so I just finished summer break here and I had the opportunity to get to know some other cities and states in Brazil, including an amazing trip to visit Felipe in Sao Paulo, the exchange student that lived in my house last year. Felipe showed me lots of cool places and it was amazing to see the difference between the South, where he is, and the Northeast, where I am living. The state of Sao Paulo is much more modernized, organized, and and has a much wetter climate. Coming back to my region I almost feel as if I had stepped into a time machine at least 10 years backwards and rain is a very rare occurance. Every rotary meetting I go to is a two hour discussion on the water problem in my city because it is becoming a real problem in my city and many others in the region. Our apartment water gets shut off every day between 1-5pm and sometimes there will be no water to shower in the morning.

After seeing many different parts of Brazil, there is one thing I noticed is the same in every place, you have to be careful. I found out that Campina Grande is ranked 25th in most dangerous cities in the world based on murder rate and I'm always receiving warnings to be careful with cell phones and to not walk in the streets. That has been the real culture shock for me. The safety and comfort of the United States is the thing I miss most. I even learned the hard way that you can't bring a cell phone to shows because it will get ripped right out of your pocket. Besides being frustrated with part of my situation I am having an amazing time and my Portuguese is coming along very well.

No comments: