Sunday, January 3, 2016

Adam Boese -- Brazil (Home Club: Schenectady)



December 16, 2015
                November has been a very nice month if not a little slow at times. However I have had a few very memorable moments that I think are worth sharing. I had my first jiu-jitsu tournament. I came in third place, which is a result I am happy with. It was a very interesting experience. I was more or less thrown into my first match, which I won. I had trained a lot on my jiu-jitsu skills, but I wasn’t very clear on the rules or strategy of a real jiu-jitsu match so it was a nerve wracking experience.
                The English teacher at my school has his own English course which is a separate program from our school. He has invited me a couple times so his students could speak English with a native English speaker. However, this past month he also organized a little thanksgiving at a nearby restaurant. I was very grateful for this as I felt quite a bit of homesickness when the Thanksgiving season rolled around and this Thanksgiving meal helped relieve this feeling.
                I also finished my school year which I learned, is a bit different than an American end of a school year. The last day of school included quite a bit of cross dressing, food fighting, and water balloon fighting. Then after the school day ended, we went to the streets to ask for money for the Brazilian equivalent to prom. Of course, with the end of the school year starts, my summer vacation which includes a lot of sleeping in, dancing, and going to the beach. So no complaints here.

No comments: