Sunday, January 3, 2016

Maeve McKeeby -- Belgium (Home Club: Schenectady)


January 3, 2016

The past month or so has been full of holiday celebrations, good food, and travelling. I finished up November by celebrating Thanksgiving with my first and second host families. Even though Thanksgiving isn’t something they usually celebrate in Belgium I still had the full meal including turkey and pumpkin pie. My host families really loved all the different specialties but didn’t understand the concept of putting pumpkin into a pie.
                December was a very busy month of travelling for me. I had the entire month off of school so I travelled to pretty much a different city every day. I am still so amazed with the public transportation here. It’s so nice to be able to get on a train and head to the other side of the country for the day. It’s been really fun to be in Europe for the holidays. Every city is decorated and has a Christmas Market. There’s been Christmas music playing everywhere and it’s made being away from home a little easier. Belgians also celebrate St. Nicolas in the beginning of December. St. Nicolas is similar to the Easter Bunny, everyone gets a large amount of chocolate and little gifts. Not all of Europe celebrates St. Nicolas, only Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Northern France.
Christmas in Belgium was really nice even though it was hard to be away from home. My host family had a little tree we all decorated together and we celebrated with all the family. My host family is Italian so Christmas Eve we made homemade Raviolis to eat on Christmas Day which were really good. My host family and family in the US had very similar Christmas Day traditions of opening presents and eating a lot and it was nice to meet all of my host cousins and extended family. I celebrated the New Year in Antwerp with all the other exchange students which was really fun to see everyone and watch the fireworks! Today is the last day of Christmas vacation so after a month off from school I go back again tomorrow!
After Christmas I changed host families which has been a weird transition. I just learned where all the dishes were in my first house and now I have to start all over again which is odd. My first and second host families are good friends so I will still get to see my first host family which is really nice! I really liked my first host family so it was hard to leave but I’m sure my new host family will be just as good!

No comments: