Thursday, February 11, 2016

Maggie Driscoll -- Mexico (Home Club: Albany)

February 10, 2016

Hello everybody! Sorry I haven't written an entry yet but I am going to start now and this will be for the months of September to January. I am living in Navojoa, Sonora, Mexico which wasn't the first location I was placed. Originally, I was supposed to go to Ecuador, my first choice, but after some complications I ended up here in Mexico. I am happy to say that I am extremely grateful for the way things worked out because I have met some of the best people, gone to beautiful places and tried amazing food (lots of tacos). When I arrived in Mexico I was shocked by how little spanish I actually knew even after years of taking it in school. I became nervous and a little doubtful my first night but when I went downstairs in the morning to my new family I was instantly made comfortable and welcomed. I never felt (extremely) homesick after that. It was very hard to communicate at first with my host mom because she talks so fast but I learned more everyday and now I can understand and speak with the people here. There were 3 other exchange students here, now 2 because one already completed her 10 months, 2 girls from Brazil and one girl from Germany. A week after I arrived I traveled to Tijuana with my entire district, about 70 students, which was super fun because I was able to meet people from all over the world and see a little more of Mexico. 
So far, I have been in 2 schools and they are both extremely different. My first school was a large public school which I liked a lot. The people were very friendly with us and always asked us so many questions. I was used to going to public schools, I studied in Albany High, but this school was very disorganized and lacked good quality materials and technology. Despite this fact almost all the students showed a lot of ambition and tried hard during the classes to get high grades. After I switched to my current smaller private school I noticed many immediate differences. The students here were also very friendly towards us but during class they are much louder, surprising me. In this school they use more technology and the administration is stricter. 
My city is a very small city where everyone knows everyone and there is not much to do. I try to find activities during the day. I go to the gym with friends, to the movies or out to eat. I figure if I go to the gym I can eat as many tacos as I want. Some other places I have been (besides Tijuana) are San Carlos, Ciudad Obregon, Las Bocas, and Alamos. San Carlos is a very beautiful beach town. It is small but the views and the seafood are amazing. Las Bocas is another small beach town (much smaller than San Carlos) but it is fun to go for the day with the family because it is only 40 minutes away. Ciudad Obregon is a city 40 minutes away that is a bit bigger than my city so we go just for more things to do. Alamos is a very cool town about an hour away. It is a popular town because it is a "Magic Town" and it is super old with awesome traditional Mexican houses, churches and streets. 
I have also lived with 2 families so far and they are also very different. The first family was not a strict family but the downside was that the parents worked a lot so I didn't get to see them so much. I was not looking forward to moving in with my current family because I knew that the mother was very strict but now I love living here because I talk with my host parents a lot which is helping me learn more spanish and they make me feel more a part of the family. Also she isn't that strict, I realize now. I celebrated Christmas and New Years with my first family and friends. At this time I almost cried from missing my family but then I was able to enjoy the moment of being with these people who I consider my new family. I felt very grateful during the holiday's for my experience here and for meeting all these people who care so much about me even if we've only known each other a short period of time. 

No comments: