Saturday, October 31, 2015

Shay Beneditto -- Brazil (Home Club -- Glens Falls)

October 30, 2015

With all the things I have already experienced, it sure feels like a lot more than just ten weeks here in Brazil. To start out, I have an amazing host family and the parents have been extremely welcoming to me, so I truly do feel like I'm part of a family here. School has also been quite enjoyable because everyone there has been so kind and interested in getting to know me. Living in a city has been different for me but I love that there's always something going on and it's not a far drive from other cool cities that I have been able to visit. My family has an apartment in the city where I spend most of my time but they actually live in a small town on the weekends so I've been able to see how people live in the small towns and the big cities. When I think of the big events or trips I already experienced so far, the things that come to mind are the exchange student orientation weekend on a beautiful beach, the soccer game I went to with my host family, spending a long weekend in Joao Pessoa (on the beach) with some of my best friends, playing handball for my school in an Olympic-style tournament, and attending some amazing shows with friends and family! 

I think the reason my exchange has been going so well for me is that I have lived by the advice I received to never say no when you are invited to do something, go somewhere, or join a group. During my first week of school I quickly looked to get involved in sports but I was also told that every year all the exchange students at my school join the dance group. At first I had no intention of joining since I have never ever been a dancer and I was always the sports guy that wasn't involved with music and dance activities. I then remembered my rule and agreed to join and I have absolutely no regrets! In fact, some of my best friends here I met in the dance group so it has worked out well for me. Now here I am, Shay, the sports guy, preparing for a dance performance next Thursday as well as my role in a school play the week after that.

Many people warned me about how difficult exchange can be but the last time I remember being truly stressed out or upset was during my crazy 24 hours of travel from the US that included two delayed flights, two flight changes and my luggage that was sent to the wrong city. When it comes to missing family and home, I don't really have time to think about it especially on the days I have school then handball practice then dance rehearsal. Very excited for what's to come!

No comments: