Saturday, October 3, 2015

Julia Lapper -- France (Home Club: Glens Falls)

September 28, 2015

In high school when my French teacher would ask what we would do if they just dropped us in the middle of a foreign country, I never really had an answer. At the time I thought, “Why does it matter? It’s not like that will ever happen.” Well it did, and now I think I probably should have given it more thought at the time.
My first month in France has been an absolute whirlwind. If I’ve learned anything, it’s that all of the former exchange students who I talked to before leaving the U.S. were not kidding. Being an exchange student will be one of the most challenging experiences of my life, but if I survive the first few months, it will also be one of the most rewarding.
The hardest part of this experience so far has been school. After spending 12 years on the same campus with the same people, it would have been hard enough to just go to a new school. Add in the fact that the whole system is completely different from the U.S. and then a language barrier? It’s a big and difficult change. I’m definitely still adjusting to that.
Outside of school, which occupies a lot more time than I am used to, my life here is great. I have had so much fun sight seeing with my host family in Paris, visiting the beautiful city of Reims with my host sister, and volunteering with my fellow exchange students. I can’t wait to see what other adventures the rest of this year has in store for me.

No comments: