Sunday, October 11, 2015

Adam Boese -- Brazil (Home Club: Schenectady)

October 8, 2015



This may not come as a surprise to you, but living in another country has been, by far, the greatest change of my life. For example, milk now comes from a box as opposed to a jug. This may not seem earth shattering but these small changes emphasise the slightly larger changes that have rocked my world. Such as not speaking the language of everyone around me or even that this is the first time I have spent away from the community I have grown up in. But describing these changes does not do them justice. To fully understand what it is to be an exchange student you have to understand that every single thing that I valued or cared about suddenly has no impact on my life. My grades, my relationships, my success and failures, are all, for the first time, truly in the past. That is not to say that I do not care about these things or that they have not helped shape me into the person I am now. For example, I worried about my grades for months. Now it’s as if none of that ever happened. Other than just straight up missing my friends and family, this is the leading cause for homesickness. I start to look for these things to dedicate myself to, as I have more or less done for a decade, only to find that they no longer exist. Where art thou milk jugs?
Despite these drastic changes I am having an amazing time. I cannot explain everything about my life because most of the time I do very normal, living in a house stuff that makes for very mundane writing. However, I will, more or less, explain what I have been doing here. On the first day in Brazil, I fell in love with my host family. They have taken me to some amazing places such as Rio de Janeiro, a beautiful city on a mountain called Teresopolis, and the beautiful beaches of our own city, Saquarema. Unfortunately, these amazing trips do not make up my daily routine. The only two things that really remain consistent for my Monday through Friday routine is school and jujitsu. Although I enjoy school, it is difficult not understanding language because I am restricted to talking with the handful of students in my class that speak english. I do try to speak as much portuguese as I can muster to the other students but I am very limited in what I can say. Jujitsu is a martial arts that reminds me a lot of a more refined version of the wrestling I used to do with my older brothers. Although I lose almost every single match I absolutely love it.
There is so much more to say that I cannot really put into words. I am really grateful to be here. I will continue to send updates on what I am doing.

No comments: