Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Whitney Brown -- Belgium / Middleburgh Rotary

November 25, 2007
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
No festivities here, but I am certainly thinking of you all and I hope you are enjoying the holiday!
Things are still going really well here in Belgium. At the begining of November I went to Egypt for the week with my host family and it was an unforgettable trip! It is like a whole different world there. I learned and saw so much. Everything is so old, it is almost unbelievable. And the hot desert weather was a nice change from cold and rainy Belgium. We went to lots of museums, rode camels and horses along the nile, went inside the pyramids... oh I was great! And I got to spend last weekend in Paris with my Uncle David!!! It was fabulous! We went to a show at the Lido, viewed the exhibit of Monet's Lilies, walked a whole lot all over Paris, and wined and dined in great restaurants. It was so much fun and great to see a familar face!
School is going well. Still pretty boring because I don't understand the lessons in Dutch. So I'm still just focusing on the language. The students have 2 weeks of exams in December and since I don't take the exams, I will be doing a lot of studying. And then 2 weeks of holiday so that will be great! It's interesting to see the differences around the holiday season here. Just for example, Santa Clause does not come on the 25th of December to bring presents to the children, but he does come with his friend Pere Zwarte Piet on the 6th of December. Neat huh?

No comments: