Friday, December 28, 2007

Rachel Hoffman -- Bolivia / Salem Rotary

December 12, 2007

I just had my 19th birthday here in Bolivia, and it was by far the best birthday I've ever had. I woke up on Saturday when my Mom and Dad here came to my room and sang happy birthday and brought me breakfast in bed. Then midday we had a lunch at my house with my family, my Bolivian friends, and my exchange friend. I got to pick out an amazing chocolate cake called the Rosa Negra, it was so delicious. Bolivians are lucky, here they get to make three wishes before they blow out the candle, only then they push your face in the cake. Later we had tea with my aunts and my grandma. And in the night I went dancing with my exchange friends and friends from school. It was so much fun.

It is hard to believe that I am about to complete my fourth month here. I would say that I'm pretty well adjusted to everything. I call my parents Mami and Papi, and my sister and I get along so well. I am definately a part of the family. All November I took classes in cooking, and learned to make some great foods. I brought them home to my family for lunch and they loved every dish I made. Now they've given me the official cooking job in the house. I've been going to the gym to stay in shape, hanging out in the plaza with friends, and also three days a week I take salsa and marange classes from Cubans. It is probably my favorite thing right now. It's so much fun, I am going to continue that as long as I can.

I think I am probably the luckiest out of the exchange students, so far I have not been sick because of the food. (Knock on wood) This woman told me that I must have a garbage stomach then, so I dont know if thats a good thing.

For the New Year I will be traveling to Brasil with some exchange students and a chaperone from Rotary. I am trying to get my aunt to come with us. We will be going to the beach in Camboriu and then the Foz de Iguazu. But I wanted to let you know I will be out of the country from December 26th to January 9th. I have permission from everyone, and we are going to the consulate this week to get a visa for Brasil. Oh and luckily everything with my Bolivian Visa worked out well. I like to show everyone my carnet, or ID card, it makes me feel more Bolivian I guess.

But everything is going great with my family and friends. I am enjoying the summer vacation, although it will be very strange having a 90 degree Christmas in shorts and a t-shirt.

I hope all is well at home in New York.

Have a great Holiday!

Rachel Hoffmann (they call me Raquel here)

No comments: