Saturday, November 10, 2012

Caleb Allison -- Venezuala (Home club: Salem)

November 10, 2012
 
 
I’m great.  I getting to know the layout of Coro a lot better.  Little by little I’ve been traveling around the local area in about an hour radius.  I’ve been to the tropical sierras to the South and several beaches in the peninsula (including the volcanically formed rock waterfront that is the farthest northern point in Venezuela).
The other day I went to the City of Punto Fijo.  It was one of the original oil towns in Venezuelans and was largely built by American capitalists.  After the government seized the industry in the 1970’s the Americans left the city and it was fascinating and almost and almost haunting to see the abandoned and fading American infrastructure.  Leaving on Sunday, all the inbound exchange students in the district are taking a weeklong trip to the Andes.  There will evidently be river rafting and donkey riding and I’m super pumped.
My Spanish has improved immensely and if I know a person well I can understand almost everything they say at a normal speed.  (In fact I’m having trouble remembering big words and structuring my grammar in English right now writing this).  My family continues to be awesome.
I’ve been going to rotary meetings it seems like every week, recently.  Its a lot more involved down here and we were recently visited by the district governor.  Also last weekend all seventy some of the outbound exchange applicants district 4380 were in town and we had rotary sponsored parties both Friday and Saturday night.  Only a few dozen will be accepted to go and the club president told me to tell you people in the US to take Venezuelan exchange students.

I do have two problems.  One’s more or less taken care of and the other hopefully will be too soon.
The first one lies with the school.   I’m in two classes that I learn something new: castellano (Latin American Spanish) and Venezuelan geography but besides that all the material is a repeat.  Also the school system is a little bit different here in that the students graduate at 16 or 17 and then have 5 years of college, so I’m the age of a 3rd year University student.  I’m accepted but it often feels forced, like I’m a square peg in a round whole.  Therefore, me and and rotary here have decided that I would do better splitting my time between the high school and the local university.  I will be taking tutored classes in spanish and phonetics, a class in spanish literature, and some calculus in the university as well as continue to take classes like Castellano, geography, and history in the high school.  This plan hopefully will go into effect as soon as we get back from the Andes.
My other problem comes courtesy of the US Army.  Before I left the medical team at West Point told me they were fairly confident that I wouldn’t have to jump through any more hoops for next year and I could travel to Latin America without worry.  However now they have re-reviewed my file and decided that I should be tested for asthma, heart dilation, and the healed fracture in my skull that’s already been checked two or three times.  So I’m going to be going to Caracas sometime soon to get those done and I’m praying I can pass them.  I was going to stay in a hotel but the governor of rotary has vowed to write a letter to the embassy demanding a room or free hotel.  I doubt they’ll give it to me but I think I’m in good hands and the situation is being dealt with slowly but surely.
But yeah, overall I’m feeling good.
 

No comments: