Saturday, November 16, 2013

Michaela Schnore -- Finland (Host Club: Glenville)

November 13, 2013

  I have now been living here for over 3 months! I have now been living with my second host family, the Siltanens, for two weeks. They are very kind people, and I have been really enjoying living so close to the center of town and so close to my friends.
       The Rotary club has kept me very involved in their activities this month, and they have decided to pay for the Lapland tour costs for me. As a thank you for taking care of those costs of the trip, I made the club two pumpkin pies with the help of my friend from Florida. Everybody really liked them.  
    This month, I visited a castle for the first time, in Hämeenlinna with my exchange student friends. My second host family brought me to Tampere with them for two days over autumn break. It was snowing quite a bit in Tampere!
        My current host family brought me out to dinner after a nice trip to an art museum in Helsinki. The restaurant was called Chico's and their slogan was "America on a plate". It was a really great restaurant and everything they had was actually American. I ordered a pulled-pork burger which came with coleslaw and onion rings. I was in heaven.
       With my friends and host families, I carved a few pumpkins, which none of the Finns had done before. I also made piparit with my host sister's scouting group, and made cake-lolipops with my host family for Finnish Father's Day, which was today. It has been a really fun month!



       


No comments: