Saturday, November 30, 2013

Gabe Gerhardt -- Brazil (Home Club: Cobleskill)



November 30, 2013

                So third month down and eight more to go till I come home. This month was pretty slow as school goes but outside of school it was pretty good. The school year is winding down and the lots of my friends at school were stuck studying and preparing for final exams. So at school it was pretty boring, but I was able to hangout and get to know the exchange students in my city. I started going to the movies and with them after our Portuguese class. I found out also that I can finally start watching movies in Portuguese without subtitles and understand it pretty well.
                This month I was able to go to the beach which was awesome. My third host father invited me and the rest of my family to spend the weekend at their house on the beach it was amazing. The first day we went to the beach and my host brother showed me this awesome rock that if you hit with it a hammer it makes the sound of bell when you hit it. The second day we went on this awesome hike into the jungle where we swam in this awesome waterfall. It was an awesome experience.
                Another awesome trip I got to go on was a visit to the Intuition of Batana which is a campus where they make anti venom for snakes and siders. If someone gets bit by a venomous snake or spider they can be airlifted to the intuition and injected with the anti-venom. They also have an awesome reptile house with every possible snake, frog, lizard, and spider that Brazil has to offer. I got to see a rattlesnake from the northwest of Brazil, a poison dart frog from the Amazon, and a 10 foot long boa constrictor. It was really cool to see.
                The biggest news that I have so far though is I will be changing families within the next two weeks. I am still a little nervous because I know who they are but I really don’t know what they are like and what their routine is. I want to still be able to do things like go out with my friends and continue doing Ju Jitsu but I unsure if they will let me or if they can take me. I explain this to my host mother and she was really awesome she is taking me to a couple of activates with my next family so I can talk and get to know them a little better.  I really am going to miss this family they have been so nice and have treated me just like their own. 
                So I guess that it, for now. A chapter closes and another opens, filled with experiences and adventure. Hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving and an awesome Christmas. 

No comments: