Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cathryn Salamone -- Japan

February 9, 2009

On the 18th, the Kochi Rotex organization had a half-year party for me, which was very special for me because it made it clear to me that I really was half way through. On the 19th, my host father took me to the Kochi North Rotary anniversary party, where I met my third host family, the Masaki's, whose home I would be moving in to at the end of that week.

I still go to Koto club as usual. I'm doing very well and am now playing with the middle school 2nd and 3rd years now, not only with the middle school 1st years. I'm very proud of myself, haha! In January, we had a recital for Traditional Japanese Dance, where me and the girl who is going to America next year on exchange danced to the traditional song of "Sakura, Sakura." It was a great experience, and I wore an elaborate kimono. It was great!

I feel like I'm repeating myself when I write this, but January also felt like it went by quickly. Usually January is a slow month for some, being after the holidays and slowly getting used to the day-to-day again, but somehow I was equally, if not more busy in January than I was in December. I moved to my third host family on the 25th of January, which was a nice and refreshing change to my days. In Japan I will have had four host families by the time I leave, changing after about three months. I think this is the perfect number. Of course there has been a host family that I really did not want to leave, and the three months felt like three days, but there also was a host family where I was excited for the change. It is the perfect amount of time, because I get to experience four different families and ways of living. Any more families and it would be overwhelming to have to move so often, and any fewer and I might not experience any other lifestyles of the Japanese.

School is moving along, but it seems to have lost its charm that it had when I first started. Still not understanding anything is getting old; both because all of my teachers speak in the regional dialect spoken here, in Kochi, that is difficult to pick up on (imagine someone doing an exchange in Texas or somewhere with a heavy accent and completely different words used after studying standard English), but also because I am studying a language with three alphabets and 2,000+ characters. I sit down to memorize more characters and sometimes I feel a heavy sense of futility. I think, "What is the point of memorizing these characters when there are so many, and an individual character has so many meanings and pronounciations?" Three times a week, teachers tutor me in Japanese, but I get the feeling they don't really know how to teacher their language. I don't blame them, I don't know how I would go about teaching English, but a lot of my studies is self-motivated, and being the only exchange student in my entire prefecture (state), some days it's hard to give myself the kick in the pants that I need.

My diet is wonderful - I am so delighted that Japanese cooking is so healthy AND delicious! There was a part of me before this exchange that didn't think that was possible. I'm learning Japanese cooking from my host mother and I love it. This, along with several other aspects of Japanese culture, I will take home with me to America.



No comments: