Sunday, October 8, 2017

Emma Dillon -- Bolivia (Home Club: Ballston Spa)



September 30, 2017

Santa Cruz, Bolivia (Host Club)


          I am currently staying with Alejandra and Jose Aguilera. I am planning on staying with this family for my entire stay. My host counselor is Patricia Arnez Gianella.

Health and Home

          I have now been here for 6 weeks as of yesterday. Time seems to be flying by already. My health has been good but there were a few weeks where I had a really bad cough and extreme exhaustion. My host mom took me to the doctor’s office for some medicine and I have been doing better ever since. I am extremely comfortable in my home and with my family. However, I wish I had more siblings. As of right now, I only have one sister who lives in our house and she is only two years old. I am looking forward to developing my relationship with my family throughout the next year.

School

          At first, I had trouble adjusting to waking up early, as I leave my house at 6:30am for school, but I am beginning to grow accustomed to it. In addition to this, due to being sick for so long, I was not originally attending school every day as I should have been. However, now I attend on a regular basis. I do not participate in any activities in school but out of class, as there are not many offered here.

          Originally, I did not feel accepted by the students or fit in very well as I was put into a course level equivalent to 10th grade. Yet now, they moved me up to 11th grade. I am much happier and I love my new classmates. They are kind and look out for me. Next year, my host club will be sending me to the local university after I finish out this semester in high school.

Rotary

          Every Friday I attend a dinner/meeting with the Rotarians and other exchange students. I also am in the process of joining the Roteract group here as a way to spend my time in an underdeveloped country usefully. My counselor brings me to each meeting and we discuss my life here before and after the meetings each Friday. I am beginning to develop a very good relationship with her. Each month I do receive an allowance of what is equivalent to 60 American Dollars. I have a very good relationship with my host club, including my Youth Exchange Officer.

Activities

          Every week all the exchange students get together, including rotex students, and go out to dinner. Often times we go out more than once a week. We have all already gotten so close.

          This past week and a half “La feria exposicion” has been going on. It could almost be compared to a county fair in the states but much larger and much more elaborate. It is where large companies go for this week to sell their new products for cheap before they’re even available. Including companies as large as Honda. The fair includes pop-up restaurants and museums.

Concerns

          As of right now I am very happy with my life in Bolivia and I have no concerns.

No comments: