Sunday, October 8, 2017

Abigail Toomey -- Argentina (Home Club: Salem)

October 3, 2017

Salem Rotary Club to Formosa Rotary Club. Host Family:
Maria and Carlos Caballero. Counselor: Dirse Alvarenga.

 
Hello from Formosa, Argentina! I have been here for about a month and a half. I am
doing really well. At first, I had a bit of culture shock, but I am well now. My host family is
SO amazing. They are very loving. They make me feel comfortable. When they pick me
up from being anywhere I find myself getting excited to see them. I have a host sister that
is very sweet. We watch tv and eat sweets together. I have been eating a lot here, and
I've started doing yoga daily and going for runs. I feel that exercise, especially yoga,
helps me in many ways. Not only does it keep me physically healthy, but it is something
that makes me mentally and emotionally ready for the day.
 
I thought making friends at my school was going to be a challenge, but it hasn't been at
all. The students here were so eager to meet me. They make me feel so welcomed. I
have been hanging out with them outside of school and enjoying myself. There is no
clubs or sports affiliated with the school here, so I don't really have any options. It is
weird for me not to be doing sports or clubs but I have been dancing with my class for an
upcoming gala. This is something so out of my comfort zone but I enjoy learning how to
dance. Though they are all amazing dancers, they include me as if I am one of them. I
also am a part of my interact club in Formosa. I never knew that there was such a thing,
but I am amazed at how much I love it. I wish that there was an Interact club in Salem.
We have meetings every Friday and activities weekly. I am very busy between interact,
school, dance, friends, etc.
 
My Rotary Counselor is the head of the interact club so I see her a couple times a week.
She is very sweet. I haven't met with her in a formal setting but I am close to her. I have
been to one Rotary meeting, and I had to speak at it. They were impressed by my
language skills. I also presented to my Interact club. I did receive the monthly allowance
for my first month, I haven't yet received my allowance for the second month. It is in
pesos but it is equivalent to 60 USD. While I love my counselor, the Rotary club here is
very disorganized.
 
I have traveled to two other Provences here in Argentina- Chaco and Corrientes. We
went for an interact meeting Chaco and after I traveled to my family to Corrientes to
spend the weekend. It was raining so we didn't get to go to the beach, but it was a really
great experience. We might go again this month. I went to my first camp in Paraguay. I
really enjoyed being around the other exchange students. It was an amazing experience.
There is a total of two camps for the year. The first one was in Paraguay and the second
one is in Misiones, Argentina. I had to pay 300 USD for these camps. At the first one we
were explained the trip opportunities. They are very expensive but the two I would like to
make are the Patagonia trip and the Brazil trip. For Brazil I need to get a visa and it is
quite complicated, so I'm not sure.

I'm sorry this is not very detailed, it is difficult for me to sum up a whole month here. I am
learning new things every day and I am growing so much. Thank you to Rotary for
making this opportunity happen for me. I am so amazed that I am actually here! Thank
you thank you thank you!
I have more detailed writings of my experience thus far on my personal blog.
https://abbytoomey223.wixsite.com/adventure

No comments: