Saturday, January 11, 2014

Michaela Schnore -- Finland (Home Club: Glenville)

Happy New Year! Sorry I haven't sent a report for the fourth month. I've been busy with the holidays and all. So I have been here now for over five months, including over Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and my birthday. December was fun, it started off with the Rotary trip to Lapland with 150 other exchange students. The trip was certainly unforgettable, and because my closest friend from orientation camp couldn't go, I had to branch off more and I made many more exchange student friends. On the Lapland tour we stayed in Harriniva in Muonio, and on the first two days we went skiing and snowboarding at Olos. I had never skiied or snowboarded before so my first skiing experience happened in the Arctic Circle in Finland. The next day we went on sled dog and reindeer sled "safaris" which were awesome. Later that day we went to the Pallas preserve nature center and museum. The next day on the way home we stopped in Santa's Village in Rovaniemi.
     

December passed pretty quickly, although I was quite homesick up until like 2 days before Christmas, when I realized that even if I were to try to get home I wouldn't be able to make it back in time for Christmas. Christmas Eve with my host family was fun, we had the traditional ham and smoked and raw salmon, and also moose. The food was really nice and after the dinner Joulupukki (Santa Claus) came to drop off Christmas presents. The next day we had Christmas leftovers for dinner and didn't do anything really on Christmas day. I spent a lot of time with my friends during break and New Years. I think New Years is celebrated in basically the same way that it is celebrated in New York and all over the world. The rest of break I spent a lot of time with my friends and then on my birthday my host family threw me a party. All my host families were there which means my best friend Sarah was there and then she slept over that night. It was really nice, everybody sang to me in Finnish and English and the cake we made was delicious.

No comments: