Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lucy Holecek -- Belgium (Home Club: Albany)


 January 28, 2014

I'm in love with Belgium. I am finally at the point where I can understand beaucoup (a lot) and also speak a ton. I'm definitely not fluent in French, but I'm in a waterfall period and just trying to take in as much French as possible. It's crazy how one can come to a point of taking in and learning much faster. I am so happy I am learning another language and love using it.  I can't wait till the day I am close to fluent. Recently exchange students have left and new ones have come in. There is a girl who came from Australia and was just like me when I first came. I feel like I am looking into a mirror and I can see how much I have progressed.  I know in most countries you don't see other exchange students very often, but here in Belgium the country is very small and we normally get together and do things. It's amazing getting to know people from all over the world and learn about their cultures and even learn a little bit of their native language. In the beginning of the year I found myself with them pretty often because I was struggling with French and the students at my school study very often, but the opportunities I have had with the other students are unforgettable. Right now it has been a little over five months and I have less than five months to go.  I have also been living with my second family for a little less than a month and they are wonderful.  With them I haven't been with the exchange students as often, but I don't mind.  Their oldest daughter is in college so she is only home for the weekends and they always have activities planned.  For example, this week we are going to go bowling and go out to dinner.
So far my first two host families have been amazing and I am so grateful to have had them apart of my life. I even already know my third host family which I often go over to, to workout because I have already gainer five kilos (oops), but it gives me a reason to get to know my third host family which I love. All three host families are great and I luckily I get to stay in touch with them and get to participate in activities with each family throughout my whole exchange. Everyone I have met here just feels like my family because they are so helpful and I am so grateful for it. I can't believe I only have less than five months and I know it's going to go by in a blink of an eye, but that won't stop me from enjoying it to the fullest. 
Lucy Holecek USA -> Belgium

No comments: