Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Gabriel Gerhardt -- Brazil (Home club: Cobleskill)



January 6, 2014
                This month was pretty big, I did a lot of interesting things, and it was a month of huge change also. The first thing that was pretty big was I got to do some pretty interesting community service. A member of rotary by the name of Correa do Mel invited me to help him rescues some stray dogs, so for a weekend we went out to the country side looking for dogs to help. To some we gave them food and water, others we gave them flea medicine and bandaged up their cuts. It was pretty cool and it felt good to do some work on the community, you could see that the people in the community appreciated, because they did not like seeing the animals hurting but they didn’t have the money to help them.
                That weekend I also got to do a lot of other things with Correa. He took me out for runs, we went and saw the police helicopters and an Elvis impersonator, and I got to drink corn juice which had an interesting after taste. After all this though I had to go home and prepare to change homes. It was a pretty sad moment because I had grown so close to my first family I it felt weird leaving them, my mom noticed this and asked me what was wrong. I explained myself to her and she huge me and reminded me that we still get to see each other at school and sometimes at Rotary. She also reminded me that if I needed anything just to call her. I felt a lot better after that so for my last dinner hoe I showed my mom and sister how to make pancakes. That night my mom and Dad drove me over to my new family’s house and dropped me off. They sat and ate a while with me and my new family then left.
                 My new family is pretty awesome, there is my dad Seul who works for an American company in Brazil, my mom who loves to cook, my two host sister who love to talk, and my three host brothers who love to play video games and read comics. They are really great and love to cook. So hopefully I can learn some dishes to cook. The first couple of weeks were basically going and meeting the family and going to the mall to hang out with friends of theirs and to get to know each other. When Christmas came along we went to my aunt’s house in Sorocaba a city an hour away from Sao Paulo. It was pretty nice there was a lot of food and a pool which was nice since it was so hot, I think it was about ninety three degrees. We left their house the day after Christmas and came home. 
                 This month was a pretty interesting and fun month hopefully the next month will be the same.

No comments: