Saturday, December 22, 2012

Kirsten Beth Lomnitzer -- Brazil (Home Club: North Creek)

December 22, 2012
Sponsoring Club: North Creek Rotary Club District 7190
Host Club: Sao Luis, Sao Fransisco Rotary Club District 4490

I am sorry that this report I late but for the past twenty days I have been on a tour of Northeast Brasil and have not had access to the internet. The trip was comprised of ninety one exchange students and six guides. We had a wonderful time and I met many people from different countries, both oldies and newies. We went to many different cities including Salvador and Rio de Janerio. I made many friends including Solange, from District 9550, Megan, from District 9455 and Svenja, from District 1840. We were all from different countries and live oceans apart but Rotary Club has allowed us to come together in an entirely different culture from our own. This opportunity is one that I will never forget and one that I will always be thankful for.

Within the trip, the exchange students spoke a rather strange combination of Portuguese, English, German (German speaking exchange students had a majority, followed closely by Taiwan) and any other language that might have been represented by the students. Some of the students weren't even holding their exchange in Brasil and that fact made communicating rather interesting, to say the least. Some people didn't speak English, some people didn't speak Portuguese but I must say, with a bit of cooperation of both the newies and the oldies, we communicated just fine.

I am really looking forward to spending Christmas or Natal here in Brasil. Merry Christmas, everyone. Feliz Natal!

Sincerely,
Kirsten Beth Lomnitzer

No comments: