Monday, December 10, 2012

Alyxe Perry -- Belgium (Home club: So. Rensselaer)

Hi Everyone!
 So I have been super busy and having the time of my life here in Belgium. I have been traveling around a lot. A few weeks ago I went to London and Paris with Rotary and then to Bruxelles and other cities with my friends. I love having the public transportation because I don't have to rely on my host parents for rides. It's awesome. School is okay, Still really different than home. I don't think i'll ever get completely used to it. The days are so long and the classes are so boring! We are actually taking exams now before the christmas break starts. I only have to take 4, but a lot of my rotary friends in other schools don't have to take any. My school is really strict with exchange students and want's us to do all the same stuff as the other kids, which is hard sometimes with the language barrier. Speaking of language things are going really well. I'm learning a lot, not fluent yet but I understand 90% of what I hear and I can manage to say all I need to say.

 My host family is really nice! For thanksgiving we didn't do anything special and they knew it was a big holiday for me at home so my host mom made me a chocolate cake in the shape of a heart. It was so sweet. Right now there are a lot of "Marche de noel" things being set up in towns all over for christmas. The Marche de Noel is just basically a christmas market with a lot of artesian products. The one in the town I go to school in is going on now so my friends and I spent last weekend there. I am going to Denmark in a couple weeks to visit Jasmin, the exchange student that my club hosted last year. I am so excited for that! Everything is going great, but I"m realizing the year is going way to fast. I never want exchange to end!!

 Hope all is well with everyone else!

-Alyxe Perry

No comments: