Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ariel Dunster -- Brazil

October 14, 2009

Adolfo and Solange Perez
Avenida Pinheiro Machado 678/95
bairro Marape, Santos, São Paulo
Brazil 11075- 002

My second month here was excellent. I´m already understanding Portuguese pretty well. School is probably the most difficult part. I still am attempting all of the tests, no matter how difficult. If the teacher is giving a lecture I usually lose focus quickly, therefore I usually use that time to study Portuguese independently.

I´m excited for this upcoming weekend because it will be the first time that I will be hanging out with my school friends outside of school. Friday I´m going to a school dance, Saturday, playing American football, and Sunday I´ll go to a barbeque with them.

Oddly enough, I feel like I have been welcomed in by a few families here, not only my host family. I have a friend living in the same apartment building as me and sometimes I go to his apartment and just spend some time with his family watching a movie or eating dinner. It´s also very nice because he has 3 other siblings close to my age so there´s always a lot of conversation.

Also, one of my good friends here is another exchange student from Arizona. Last weekend was a holiday weekend (children´s day) so I went with his family to a town nearby to do volunteer work. It was a lot of fun. We made candy bags as well as cake and gave them to more than 200 poor children. I also enjoyed this trip because we stayed at a camp on a farm. It was amazing there. We ended up getting stuck there for an extra day because the traffic was backed up for 8 hours.

I´ve been growing closer with my family as well. I have found some things that my family and I have in common. Both my host mom and I enjoy cooking, so I usually like to sit in the kitchen and help her cook dinner. With my father, we both enjoy soccer, and he´s actually taken me to a couple of soccer games, which is really nice. We also went to São Paulo for dinner one evening which was nice.

Other than this, mostly everything has been going well. I attend Rotary meetings every week. They´re a lot of fun and I´m beginning to understand some of the things that they are saying.

No comments: