Saturday, May 31, 2008

Jessica Wilke -- Poland

May 26, 2008

I cant believe how long it has been since I have written! (I'm sorry!)

Ive been living with my 5th host family (counting the family i lived with for the 1st 2 weeks i lived in poland) for about 2 months now. Id say they are defiently my favorite family, and having 3 daughters there's always something going on! With them I've also gotten to go to many musical shows; philharmonica, an opera, a saxophone concert, and seen different parts of poland as well, which was great because the other families were also too busy for that.

In the begining of May as well as visiting family with my host family, was the 3rd exchange conference in Cracow (for sure one of my favorite cities in Poland!). It of course was tons of fun being with everyone again but also a very important time because we attended the March of the Living in Auszwitz (one of the largest concentration camps) where thousands of Jews gathered from all over the world to march through and around the camp. Going there was one of the most important things to me, to go and do while I was here in Poland. Although, as great as it was to be a part of something like that, it also took away from the solemness in this place, because of the joy that was there as this march is about conquering this horrible time and the fact that there still are millons of jews today. So i would really have liked to go a different time as well, that i could just really have the time and quietness to be in this place.

On a different note, the reality of this year coming to an end seems to be ever present in these last few weeks. It seems to be the most popular subject with just about everyone I talk to, in Poland and back home :( Last week I spent the week in Torun visitng my 1st host family and the other exchange students living there and most of the time we just sat by the river in the sun and talked about the year, and how we've changed and what we have experienced (mostly practicing answering the obvious questions we will be asked a million times when we get home haha). I didn't think I would feel so sad but the fact that this place, which has has been my home for the last year(through the best and worst times of my life) and the fact that most likely i will never see the majority of the people ive met here, ever again!
At this point im just planning my last few days here, trying to make the most of it and making sure to say goodbye to everyone that i can! And also, today is the last rotary meeting I will be attending and i will say a short speech in polish, saying goodbye and thanking them for allowing me to be here.

This Thursday is the last exchance student conference, its near the Baltic sea and should be the best meeting but also the sadest!!!! On sunday starts our 3 week Euro trip for those who are going (and for those who arent ill be saying goodbye to that day.) I am so excited to be going to; Germany, Holland, Belgium. France, Monaco, Italy and Hungary!! It's for sure the best way to end my year here and 2 days after i get back from this trip i will be going back to the USA.

Thank you so much for this opportunity, it really has been the best year of my life. Being an exchange student is something that can't really be understood unless you have experienced it. My friend has this saying "Americans don't get it, poles dont get it, only americans in poland get it". Of course its not just americans or just going to poland, but the point is the same. This year will forever be the hearts of all the exchange students all over the world this year, and now i can really understand why, when i talk to past exchangers, their year away still sticks out so much to them, as being one of the best!
-Jessica (poland)

No comments: