Monday, March 24, 2008

Allie Ritz -- Italy

March 12, 2008

Well things have gotten better here. The weather is warming up so I'm passing more time outside. I've gotten in touch with a couple of the girls that I met at the airport and we are going to try to meet up in the last few months. So im really looking forward to that.

For Rotary here in Pisa, I wrote a short article of my experience, in Italian. I've rewritten it in English:

Dear Friends, My name is Alexandra Ritz. I'm an American exchange student in the Rotary Club of Pisa. I have been in Pisa since Setember 2007. This is a wonderful experience that I'll never forget. I have the oppurtunity to live with an Italian family and to be completely immersed in the traditions and in the italian culture.

There are some differences between the cultures but nothing drammatic. Some examples are that in the american schools the students change classrooms while the teachers remain in the same class. There aren't any oral exams only written exams. Then there are only four years of high school instead of five.

Another difference is that the italian teenagers have more liberty because when the are 14 yrs. old they can drive a moped and then at 18 they can get their drivers license whereas in the United States you can get the license when you turn 16. The italian public transportation is more efficent and used more. In the US public transportation is only common in the big cities because it doesn't exist in the small towns or it's expensive. I am happy to be able to use the bus because it gives me more independence and I don't need to rely on the host family to drive me plasses. Infact often I take the bus to go between home and Pisa.

The italian life style is more traditional. For example they eat lunch all together everyday. This isnt possibile in the US because we are in school until 3 so we eat in school. This aspect was different for me but now I am used to it and I rather enjoy returning home to eat and chat with my host family. The italian culture is more family orientated in respect to the american culture.

The eating habits in Italy are healthier. The diet is more balanced and the food is fresher, especially the bread which is made everyday. The food doesnt vary much from american food because we eat a lot of pasta too. I love the focaccia which is a type of bread and the vegetables because they have a lot of flavor the way that they are cooked. And then the coffee...its to die for!!!! I dont think Ill be able to drink american coffee when I return in the US after having had italian coffee.

Since I've arrived I have been living with the Mazzarosa family. I get along with them really well and they are all really nice. I have a sister, Lucrezia, 17, and a brother, Giuseppe, 13. I am very happy to have their company because I come from a family of five kids so I am used to having other kids around. I appreciate everything that the Mazzarosa's have done for me specially for their generosity and support. I couldn't thank them enough nor be able to express in words my gratitude. This experience wouldn't have been possible without their hospitality. I thank also Rotary for everything that they have made possible.

Allie Ritz

No comments: