Friday, February 29, 2008

Whitney Brown -- Belgium

February 29, 2008

Hi, everyone, Just keeping you up to date on my busy days.


In the begining of the month I went to visit Middelburg in Holland. It is the middlerbugh that the middleburgh in new york was settled by. So that was pretty neat. Its a cute little town with lots of canals and windmills.

My Rotary presentation about the USA went great! they all were so thrilled with my dutch and think it is so great that i am learning the language even though i wont be able to really use it anywhere else in the world besides the north of belgium and holland. Haha, so that was a nice evening.

I went to my third host family's house 2 weeks ago for a lunch date and I CANT WAIT to move there! They made me feel so welcome and I can already tell that I will feel so much at home there than this second host family. They have a really nice 3 floor apartment in the middle of the city, which is sooo much easier than the half an hour bus ride to the city that i have to take from the home of my 2nd host family. They already invited me to go to France with them in May for 5 days... so thats really exciting! I will be moving in with them (the Dierckx family) 2 weeks earlier than planned, on March 16th. My new address is:

Pieter de Nefstraat 8
B-2300 Turnhout Belgium


Yesterday I had a field trip with the school to the European Union headquarters in Brussels. So that was very interesting.

The big highlight of the month was from february 19th to the 27th, when my brother came to visit!! It was such a fun time!! We did a bit of sight seeing in Brussels and Antwerp - we went to the famous Comic Strip Museum in Brussels and to tour a Brewery. I introduced bobby to the wonders of Belgian waffles, fries, mussels, chocolates, and famous beer! We went to Amsterdam for a day - we went to Anne Frank's house and to Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. We also went to Paris for 3 days - visited the top of the eiffel tower, notre dam, and toured the louvre. Anddd we also took a day trip to Bastogne in the South of Belgium to visit some famous WWII museums and american memorials. We were busy busy and just had such a nice time together!

Tomorrow I am going to Antwerp for the day with the rotary club and exchange students in belgium. And I am also getting ready for my next trip --- my mom arrives on wednesday for a visit!!!! lots of excited stuff happening around here. I hope all is well with you all. I cant wait to be back to see you. I will be home in less than 4 months! the time is going to fly by! keep in touch and talk to you soon!

love, Whitney

No comments: