Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Jessica Wilke -- Poland

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Hey!,
I'm sorry its been so long since i have written, excuses excuses i know but ok i finally am!
So far i must say this year has been the most emotional, adventureous and worth it, year of my life! I absolutely love trying to communicate in a different language. I must admit im not fluent in polish, ive heard from many that its honestly one of the hardest languages in the world, and for sure i agree, but im learning. When i think about it, all the experiences i have and especially the little things (having to communicate alone in a store, hair salon, the gym, the bus, on the street, etc, alone and in another language, especially because i am or have been such a shy person!), are really causing me to grow and mature.
Other experiences i have had lately are, being caught without a bus ticket (forgetting one time! ahh!) and having to pay 100zl!, getting incredibly lost (that actually happens a lot and im always alone!, but somehow i always find my way :) ) There is just so many things!

I can for sure say i was one of those people who just really wanted to go home for over a month but im actually already really glad that i didnt and realize that most people go through it even if i felt like my circumstances "were different".
The other exchange students are amazing, and just what i needed to feel better because its always great to have people who can relate and who can help you have a good time! I just went skiing in Zakopane (in the south of poland where the mountains are and where basically everyone vacations at during the winter). It was a great time to spend with some exchangers and to share in the experience of the brazilians and mexicans, learning to ski and having their 1st winter!
My sister from the US actually came today, to visit me for 2 weeks! The 1st week we are going back to Zakopane with a polish youth group and the next week we will be exploring more of my city and travelling in poland. I am so excited to see how she reacts to all that was a shock to me!

In the begining of March I am going with a bunch of exchangers to GREECE for 5 days and i am so excited for that! For sure my best times have been and will be with the exchangers because of the great times we have and the travelling we get to do together!

No comments: