Monday, April 18, 2016

Maeve McKeeby -- Belgium (Home Club: Schenectady)

April 14, 2016
 


March has been yet another exciting and crazy month. The first and second week of March my parents came to visit which was really exciting. It was so fun to be able to show my parents a little bit of my life here in Belgium. Together we visited multiple cities in Belgium, along with Luxembourg, and Ireland. My parents got to meet my host families here and see my school which was really cool but also strange.
                The week after my parents left was the Brussels explosions so that set the country into a frenzy. I am currently living just about twenty minutes from Brussels and attend a Brussels-run school so my school was immediately placed on high security lock down with police and army on site. All of the trains, buses, and many roads were closed so getting home from school was not easy. We were not allowed to leave school to get lunch, and could not exit the building for any reason until 4 o'clock when a guardian pulled the car up to the school gate. My host parents work in Brussels but were all safe. Things are now just starting to go back to normal here in Belgium but the airport is still partly closed and will most likely be closed for at least another month.
                The last two weeks of March was Spring break from school and I travelled to Greece with about 60 other exchange students here in Belgium! Greece was an amazing trip and was one of the best weeks of my exchange thus far. I was able to visit Athens, Olympia, Corinth, Hydra Island, and Spestes Island. Greece was honestly the most beautiful place I’ve ever visited and I already want to go back and visit. After I got back from Greece I had to pack up my bedroom and change host families for the last time. I already love my new family. They are so fun and very welcoming and have already planned to take me to France, and Finland. It’s hard to believe I have already moved into my final host family. This year has gone by so quickly and I don’t even want to think about it coming to an end.

No comments: