Thursday, April 7, 2016

Adam Boese -- Brazil (Home Club: Schenectady)

April 6, 2016
 


Ever since I arrived in Brazil people told me I was going to love the month of February. They were right. At the beginning of February I moved to my next host family. This is the host family that owns a gym and has been letting me study jiu-jitsu during my exchange year. They have been wonderful and I will be sad to leave. But the highlight of February, if not this year,  is carnival. Carnival is tough to explain because its radically different than any holiday in the US. The general idea of carnival is that the entire country celebrates (partys hard) from morning to night for 4 days straight to welcome in a year of happiness. Part of the reason the celebrations are so wild is because during these four days many social expectations are dropped, such as gender roles.
My schedule during carnival more or less consisted of me waking up, training jiu-jitsu, and then quickly getting dressed in drag (as is the tradition) to go to a parade. These parades drew huge crowds of people that followed a bus with a band on the roof. The band played samba and everyone danced. I am disappointed to report that after much dancing, I still cannot dance samba well. After this parade I would go down town or to the beach (or both) with my friends and dance some more. We usually didn’t make it home until well into the morning.  But the most important part about carnival is the atmosphere of the country. During carnival, an extremely friendly country becomes even friendlier. Everyone talks to everyone and everyone is always doing something. You never stop.
                Despite these amazing four days, February also held something much more sinister: School. Shortly after carnival my summer vacation ended and school started, much to my disappointment. Because the Brazilian school year is opposite of ours, I am now with a new class because the last one graduated. But I was already friends with many people in this class so it has been an easy transition.
                There haven’t been any other landmark events this month but I will mention I am still training jujitsu every day. I spend a lot of my down time at the beach, as my new house is right next to the ocean, or with friends. Can’t complain!

No comments: