Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Maeve McKeeby -- Belgium (Home Club: Schenectady)

February 23, 201

The past month has been full of travels, and celebrations. During the end of January, exchange
students from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and other Southern Hemisphere countries arrived in
Belgium. The exchange students here in Belgium have an “oldie-newie” system; the exchange students
who are roughly half way through there exchange help the ones who have just arrived and help them
get used to the trains, school, and a whole new culture. I have a newie in my school, from Australia so I
spent the end of January and beginning of February showing her around Belgium and helping her adjust
to Belgium weather and life.
 
The beginning of February was Carnaval here in Belgium. Having never celebrated Carnaval it
was exciting to experience a new holiday. The main day of Carnaval was Mardi Gras but there were
parties, and festivals all month. I attended the biggest Carnaval festival in Binche, Belgium during Mardi
Gras. Binche is a very small city in the French part of Belgium but during Carnaval people from all over
Belgium, and Europe traveled to Binche for the celebration. At Carnaval, lots of people dress up in
costumes and have parades. People create teams and all dress up as the same person and walk around
as a group with a personal drummer and sometimes even a band in tow. Carnaval was definitely a very
different, exciting celebration I am so glad I was able to attend.
 
Following Carnaval I had the opportunity to travel to Zurich, Switzerland, and Barcelona, Spain.
Zurich is an absolutely gorgeous city with beautiful architecture, and landscape. In Zurich I explored the
historic section, along with the newer section. Despite its small size, Zurich has all the big name designer
stores and is the banking capitol of the world. Zurich is situated on Lake Zurich, with the Alps on the
other side. It is a very picturesque city with beautiful architecture and scenery. Three days after I
returned from Switzerland, I boarded a bus with my classmates and headed to Barcelona, Spain.
Barcelona is another beautiful city with beautiful architecture, good food, the beach, mountains nearby,
and good shopping. I spent 4 days in Barcelona visiting the Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, the gothic
quarter of Barcelona, the beach, downtown Barcelona, and the nearby Cataluna mountains. Barcelona
was a really fun week and it was really nice to get to know my classmates better and enjoy the sun!
The last thing I celebrated this month was my 6 month mark. It’s truly hard to believe I have
been without my family in a (now not so) foreign country. It’s so strange to think everyone in my life
right now I’ve only known for half a year, and only have 4 short months left with them. Exchange truly is
another life in a year, and it’s certainly a life I don’t want to miss out on.

No comments: