Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Adam Boese -- Brazil (Home Club: Schenectady)

October 9, 2015



Despite not celebrating Halloween in Brazil, I had been counting the days until Halloween if only to feel my connection to the US. However, I was still surprised when I woke up on October 31st because it meant that another month had ended without my notice. I often feel as if time is slipping at an unusually quick pace and I think this has to do with the fact that I am always at least acutely aware that each day signifies that I am a little bit closer to the end of my time here. It is as terrifying as being constantly being aware that you are getting closer to your inevitable death. Sure you might take more risks but most people prefer to pretend they’re going to live forever.
                I have done a lot with the finite amount of time I have. I meet an absurd amount of people every week as people are very interested in meeting a gringo. As being a novelty begins to feel lonely at times, I am glad to be finding people that I have formed friendships with as well. I also continue to do jujitsu and go to school every week day both of which I enjoy almost as much as my weekends (sometimes more). Over the weekends my host family and I usually do something such as watch the newest episode of the walking dead (today we are going to a circus). This is my last month with the Bonelli’s and I will be very sad to leave them.
                As Saquarema is a beach town I also spend a lot of time on the beach although I have yet to find a good time to learn how to surf because my instructor wants to wait until there are better waves for a beginner. That’s pretty much all of I have been doing but I am also happy to report that pretty much all of my homesickness faded earlier in the month.

No comments: