Sunday, November 15, 2015

Julia Lapper -- France (Home Club: Glens Falls)

November 14, 2015


    In light of yesterday’s events, I figured I should send an update. At the time of the attacks, I was safely at home, 15 miles outside of central Paris in the suburb of Lagny-sur-Marne. In an attempt to shed some perspective on the situation here, I thought I might start by sharing some of my recent posts from Facebook.

    Today while reading a book about an American woman who lived in Paris in the 1920s, I got to a chapter about her visit to the breathtaking Château de Chenonceau, which I visited a few weeks ago. It's still unbelievable that I'm actually doing all of this incredible stuff and going to all of these amazing places. I wake up everyday thinking it's just a dream. I am so thankful for all of the once in a lifetime experiences I've had so far and excited to take on whatever comes next. That's what this year is all about. 
                   --November 13, 2015  

    Ce matin quand je me réveille il y avait 120 morts et maintenant les numéros des corps continuent monter. Je suis encore sous le choc. Mes pensées sont avec les familles des victimes et tous ceux touchés par cette tragédie. Restez fort. Nous sommes tous Parisien.
This morning when I woke up 120 were dead and now the numbers continue to rise. I am still in shock. My thoughts are with the families of the victims and everyone affected by this tragedy. Stay strong. We are all Parisian.
--November 14, 2015    

    The first post is from yesterday afternoon, before the attacks. When I said I was waiting to see what would come next, this was the last thing I was expecting. Today, the entire country of France is reeling as we continue to learn new details about last night’s events. All schools and government buildings have been closed temporarily. When I went out today, Lagny had turned into a ghost town. I walked the dog for an hour without passing a single person on the street.
    Having been raised in the post 9/11 world, I am not unfamiliar with stories of the despicable terror some people are capable of inflicting. However, this is the closest I have ever been when a tragedy of this scale occurred. Now, in the aftermath of November 13, 2015 – a day that will be remembered in infamy – I know the true meaning of international community. In some ways being so close to this horrific event has really solidified the importance of exchange for me. No matter what country we come from, we are one world. We must stand together, and right now we must support the people of France. Nous sommes tous Parisien. Nous sommes tous français.


Julia Lapper

No comments: