Saturday, November 22, 2014

Allyson Block -- Ecuador (Home Club: Ballston Spa)

November 19, 2014




            For both better and worse, October was a very eventful month.
            When I arrived in August my oldest host sister, Cristina, was pregnant with her second child. In the beginning of September she started having contractions- since the baby, Tomás, was not due for another six weeks she was put on bed rest. The date for her actual delivery was the 10th of October. Although we live twenty minutes from Ibarra, the capitol of the well-populated province Imbaburra, the hospitals here are not the best quality. So, to deliver the baby Cris and her husband drove to a women’s clinic in Quito, two and a half hours away. My mom and I drove down the following day with the intention of being there for the birth. However, there were complications and the baby died. The funeral was held the next day back in Ibarra. Obviously, this has been very hard on my entire family. I personally have never experienced anything so heartbreaking.
            The birth ended up being a caesarian section, so my sister was prescribed bed rest for an additional two weeks. During that time I spent a lot of time with her, chatting, reading, and watching a lot of bad Mexican soap operas.
            Lately Cris has been doing much better. We are very close, and I often run errands with her after school. She owns a cake making business and is also the head of quality control for a small fair trade company from the US called “One Little World”. I have always been very interested in fair trade business, so I love being able to travel around the city with her and meet the artisans in their home workshops. It is really incredible to see how much they are benefitting from the fair wages they earn. Those who have been contracted by this company, and similar ones, have a much higher quality of life than the other artisans working in Otavalo. Nearly all of them have cars, and have been able to purchase not only necessary appliance, such as clothes-dryers and washers, but televisions and computers too. This is a really great initiative, and I hope to find a way to stay involved when I return home.
            In regards to school, these past few weeks have been very interesting, for the student government elections were held. In BSHS student council/ school office elections were very relaxed. If someone were to make posters this would be considered putting in a large effort. So, when I saw how elaborate the campaigns are here I was floored. First of all, instead of running as individual candidates, two ballots are made of ten students each, ranging in age from Kindergarten to senior year. The opposing ballots are referred to as “List 1” and “List 2”. After the teams are made a week of debates and various campaign stunts is held.
            During lunch break turntables, speakers and megaphones were brought in to create a club-like atmosphere. Given that my school is K-12, it was a popular strategy to try and win over the elementary school kids (the youth demographic, if you will). To that end, freeze pops and candies were distributed while faces were painted with campaign colors.
            This all reached a climax the day before the elections. A large stage was set up in the courtyard for the candidates to run their respective rallies from. It felt more like a music festival than school! List #1 contracted four different musical groups, a hip hop dancer/contortionist and stilt walkers! This was topped by List #2 who brought in the DJ & rapper duo from the most popular discotech in the city! In addition to a hip hop dance troupe!
            Considering that girls are not allowed to have painted finger nails in school, my mind was blown by such ostentatious displays. The day was very fun, but in general I think that permitting extravagant campaigns is unjust. Whoever’s family can afford to put on the most outrageous event wins! The candidates are elected more on their performance than merit. Yet, I suppose that this is a more accurate reflection of politics than our school elections.
            Overall, everything is going very well! Although there are certainly things that I miss about home I haven’t been overwhelmingly homesick. I think that this has something to do with the weather. I cannot believe that it is November, almost Thanksgiving! It’s perpetually late August here. Time has stopped still! Maybe if I had changing seasons to reference how long I’ve been away I would be lonelier.
            But, of course, my family is wonderful!, and they tell me that my Spanish is coming along very well. I had my first (part of a) dream in Spanish! It was really only a sentence, after which I immediately woke up startled. Even so, I am certainly making progress, and hopefully learning a little bit more every day!

No comments: