Sunday, October 6, 2013

Michaela Schnore -- Finland (Host club -- Glenville Rotary)

 October 2, 2013
 
   Wow! I can't believe I have been living in Finland for 8 weeks now! Practically two months! The first jakso of school has already come to an end, as of today. And on Thursday I start a new jakso and a new schedule. 
        I haven't had to attend class since last Tuesday because it has been the exam week at school, and on Thursday I return to school for just over a week until it is Autumn Break already. I will be taking conversational English and Spanish, textile design, recording studio music, and physics. I am looking forward to a more challenging course schedule. 
       It has gotten colder and darker here already and it has put me in a Christmas mood prematurely. Admittedly, I did watch White Christmas the other night, and I have already begun practicing some Christmas music for guitar.
      I was only homesick a few times this month, and not for very long either. Within the month, on October 26th I will be moving into Klaukkala city to live with my second host family. I'm sure it will be a very bittersweet time for me. I really love my current host family, but it will definitely be nice to be closer to the school and all my friends.
      A lot has happened in the past month, its hard to remember it all. The Rotex organized their first meeting with the students in district 1420 and it was a fun time. My best friend from Rotary, Sarah, got to spend the night in Lepsämä which was a lot of fun, we made real American pancakes. I attended a few Rotary meetings, one was a visit to a rehabilitation center, and the other was a presentation on Nuclear safety in Finland. And tonight, I went with Sarah's host family to a hockey match between Jokerit of Helsinki and Ilves of Tampere. Jokerit got slaughtered at 4-0.
      
       Sincerely, 
      Michaela Schnore


No comments: