Saturday, March 1, 2014

Anthony Vandyke -- Ecuador (Home Club: Salem)

February 27, 2014

  Well I just made the six month mark and I’ve been having a great time here.  In a way it seems like I’ve only been here a couple months but also like I could have been living here my whole life.  The new family I’m staying with is just as nice and welcoming as the last and I consider myself lucky for that.  Last week my father came to visit on short notice and we both went to spend a short week with my biological family living a few hours from where I go to school.  Now that I know quite a bit of Spanish and have adjusted to the culture here it was very nice to see them and especially nice to communicate and get to know them better and more personally.  I was able to translate for my father so he could ask them questions and know his family better too. I would have to say that going to visit them was one of the highlights of my year.

The Rotary here also has another trip planned for us, this time to the Galapagos Islands which should be a wonderful time from what I’ve heard from past exchange students and others who have been there.  Also this weekend is a huge festival called Carnival in my city which should also be a lot of fun.  I’ve made great friends here like I’ve know them my whole life, they take me around and show me what there is to do in this relatively small city.  Although I can communicate fairly well I still struggle with the language as a whole with the numerous conjugations and difficult pronunciation, but I’ll get there I still have four months till I have to go home.  I’m sure the next four months will be even better than the first six.

No comments: