Friday, March 15, 2013

Keith Roscoe -- France (Home: Cobleskill)

March 15, 2013
Bonjour,

    How is everyone? I decided to start with this question because it seems that I am always sending out updates but never receiving any. Now, it is your turn! Even if it is just a short message. I would very much like to hear from you. Now what have I been up to?

    Well we just had our 2 week mid-winter break. I went to Paris with my host family! That's right. Paris! More details about that in a few; Other than that things have been pretty normal around here.  The weather seemed to have given us a sneak peak of spring, but now we are back to snow, sleet, and rain.  I am growing fed up of the weather. All I want is nice warm weather. School is as annoying as normal, but I feel like I am starting to get along more and more with the frenchies. Rotary Life; I have been going to my usual club meetings and events. The other day I stayed overnight at my councilor's house after going to the movies; In France the rotary does a fundraiser where they sell movie tickets to a movie debut. So, it is like a rotary specific premiere.  The movie we saw was the new version of "The Wizard of Oz." To give you an idea of the "time difference" between American Culture and France, that movie just came out.

    Now, Paris! We were in Paris for 5 nights/4 days. On arriving Monday we took a quick tour of Paris by night in the car. The first time I saw the Eiffel Tower.  Then we went to the family friend's house where we were spending the night. The next day we fought through the traffic and finally made it into Paris; We started off by seeing the "Place Vendôme." I'd say it is like the equivalent of the "5th Street" of Paris.  This is where the most expensive stores I have ever seen are located. My host mom made the choice that if I wanted to buy a new suitcase then I should do it here.  What made that funny is that we were in front of the Louis Vuitton store. In the same little plaza there were Chanel, Rolex, Dior, and even the Ritz. Can you imagine? I believe it is obvious that I did not buy my souvenirs here. Sorry to let you guys down, but no Louis Vuitton or Chanel for you.  That day was essentially non-stop. We also visited the Champs Elysées, Place de la Concord, L'Arc de Triomphe, Jardin des Tuileries, Champs de Maris, Eiffel Tower, Cathedral of Notre-Dame, and we walked along the Seine. The next day we did Versailles in the morning and the Louvre in the afternoon. Both were very beautiful but since the weather wasn't that nice the gardens at Versailles weren't that great. Since it was the off-season the fountains were not working.  There was also a fountain under restoration. I feel as if every fountain I go see is under construction.  But, the next day we visited the "Happiest Place on Earth." Since, it was my first Disney Experience, I am very happy to have done it. It was great. I recommend Disney to everyone!

 
   6 Months! Soon to be 7 before I know it. I know I repeat it in every email, but its true. I just can't believe it. I will be back in the states doing my college work before we realize it!

No comments: