Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Brittany Cruise -- France

November 19, 2008

Ok, so a quick summary about my first three months. It started off perfectly, my family is amazing and at the beginning they were extra cautious of explaining things slowly to me and helping me form sentences, and not just.. "thank you" and "yes I understand." Now we can communicate on a normal level. It was nerve-racking to start school, not knowing anyone (or French) fluently, but I've made really good friends and it wasn't that bad. My host family takes me on small day trips to see the region and so far I've seen a lot. I've been to Paris to see a real football game (France won) and I've seen a lot castles and historical sites. It's really interesting to say the least, and I'm learning a lot (but in a fun way.) This Saturday we're going to the Matignon where the Prime Minister works. It's normally closed to tourism, but we're going to have a chance to visit. I'm moving to my second family the first of December and am excited. I'm a little sad to be leaving my first family but not dissapointed. I've had a few moments of homesickness but it's not a big deal because I'm normally busy and have things going on. I'm part of one of the two girls soccer teams in the city and that keeps distracted from missing the US too much. Over all, I'd say after just three months here, I know that it's been the most exciting experience of my life and I can't wait for the following months. Thank you Rotary for the opportunity to be here. (And the Rotary here is amazing; everyone is so welcoming and kind.)

Sorry I've forgotten to write, but I've been really busy here. It's a good busy though. I'd say I've adjusted well, and I really feel like part of my host family. I'll be sure to remember to write again next month. Sorry again, and Happy Holidays.

No comments: