Sunday, February 19, 2017

Cole Malerba -- Peru (Home club: Colonie-Guilderland)

January 9, 2017

In late-November, I graduated from my high school in Arequipa! I enjoyed my time in that school, but I was happy to move on to a new experience: Peruvian cooking classes!  
The other exchange students and I were enrolled in cooking classes in a Peruvian culinary institute. Our Rotary clubs generously agreed to cover the cost of the classes, and our host parents helped us to purchase the ingredients. If you didn’t know, Peru is generally considered to have one of the most diverse and interesting cuisines in the world. Part of this is due to the geography of Peru. The three main geographic regions of Peru are La Sierra (desert), La Costa (coast), and La Selva (rainforest). Each of these regions has their own local ingredients and traditional dishes.
We each received a schedule of the cooking classes, listing which dishes we would prepare each day, and the ingredients that each person should bring. The first class we learned to make “arroz con leche”, a Peruvian variant of rice pudding, and “mazamorra morada", a pudding-like dessert made with purple corn and various fruits. We were spilt into four groups and given the same ingredients and instructions. Then, with the help of the chefs, each group attempted to recreate the dish, and at the end we got to compare each other’s successes (or failures). The next three weeks, we learned how to make a variety of traditional Peruvian specialties. My favorites were “rocoto relleno”, a baked hot-pepper stuffed with a filling of beef, onion, carrot, olive, egg, and topped with cheese, “lomo saltado”, beef stir-fried with soy sauce, onion, tomato, aji (a native peruvian spicy pepper), and served with a side of fresh french fries and rice, and “chupe de camaron”, a seafood stew made with shrimp, lima beans, rice, and a variety of potatoes. It was a very fun (and delicious) experience that helped to bring the exchange students of Arequipa closer together. I loved learning about the complexity and diversity of Peruvian cuisine. 
The cooking classes ended about a week before Christmas. I spent the next week shopping for presents for my host family, and trying to get into the Christmas spirit. Christmas was different, but nice. There was no snow or cold weather. There were no insane Christmas decorations. We spent the whole day with family: my host parents, my two host sisters, their husbands, and their kids. We had a great meal with turkey, pork, salad, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and a few desserts. I prepared cranberry sauce and chocolate-chip pumpkin bread, and my family loved both. As it got dark, we sat together, exchanged a few small gifts, and talked around the television. As midnight approached, people began to set off fireworks. The frequency and the volume of fireworks increased until they reached a massive crescendo. At 12 o’clock, we ran out on to the roof and watched as the whole city lit up. It was mesmerizing. Around 12:15, the fireworks gradually began to stop. We went back inside, said goodnight, and went to bed. 
In the morning, we went to church. After church, we went shopping for lunch: guinea pig (don’t freak out, the guinea pigs were already dead). We bought 15 guinea pigs. My host mom put them on a clothesline to dry. Then, she fried each guinea pig until they were crispy, and served them alongside some potatoes and a homemade sauce called “copa”. I’m not going to lie they were pretty delicious. This might sound horrifying, but please try to understand that this is completely normal for them. Nobody in Peru owns a pet guinea pig. 
The next day, December 26th, my sister, Holly, arrived in Arequipa! I was so thrilled to see her after what felt like a lot more than 5 months without her. My host family kindly invited her to stay in their home. We spent the next few days socializing with my host family, and doing some sightseeing around Arequipa. On the 30th, my host family took my sister and I to the beach. We spent two nights at the beach. The second night we camped out and sat talking around a fire. At midnight, we all hugged each other. There were more fireworks, and then we slept.
The next morning, I had to say goodbye to my host family. It was a sad experience, but it made me happy to know I would get to see them again. My host sister’s husband drove my sister and I back to Arequipa, where we took a flight to Lima. The next few days were amazing. Each morning, my sister and I got up early, ate breakfast in our hostel, and then walked 5 minutes to the beach where we surfed for a couple of hours. We spent the rest of the days eating in nice restaurants and exploring the nearby areas of Miraflores, Barranco, and San Isidro. We had wonderful, sunny weather, and the whole time was very relaxing.
 On the 6th, my sister had to get up early to catch her flight to Colombia, where she would spend the next week. I had to say another goodbye, one that was almost harder than the first one. After my sister left, I took a taxi to house of my current host family. Now I am living in the Villa Militar in Chorrillos, a nice residential area located just 10 minutes walking-distance from the center of Barranco, a district with a big art culture and a bustling nightlife. I love my new host family. I have two host brothers, 18 and 20, and a very sweet host mom. I look forward to spending these next two months with them.
That’s all for now. Thank you to everyone who made this experience possible for me. Until next time!

No comments: