Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Marni Libby -- Slovakia (Home Club: Delmar)

February 10, 2015
 
 
I feel like a lot has happened in the past few weeks, but when I think about it, not much has really gone down. Our Rotary event in the city of Banská Bystrica was really amazing. It was really great to see all the other inbounds again and to get to know them all even better. We took another language test there, which was very difficult. I got an 85 percent of the speaking part and an 84 percent on the written part. I'm happy with those grades, because the test was very hard. I got accepted to go on the Eurotour, as well, which is very exciting. In late April and early May we'll be leaving from Bratislava and traveling to Paris, Barcelona, and then taking a ferry boat to Italy and seeing many different cities there such as Rome, Venice, Florence, and Pompeii.
 
We changed host families again last Saturday, which was very sad. I feel a little more sad because some students in our district changed to their second host family on the same day that I changed to my third. I really feel like I didn't get enough time with my first two host families. But there's not really anything I can do to change that. My new host family is very nice. They have one son, Dominik, but he is on exchange in Mexico rightn now, so I am in his room. They also have a very furry little cat called Teo. He's pretty weird. I don't dislike my new host family, but they have some rules that I find a little unecessary. My first two host families were really easy-going, so it might be a bit hard to adjust to this one, especially since they don't even have internet that I can use. My first days here I haven't really been given leave to go out to the city on my own other than for school, and it gets a little boring and lonely being cooped up in an empty house without wifi for hours on end. But I can survive it. I think tomorrow they will give me my own key to the house, so I won't have to come straight home after school.
 
Other than that, though, my new host parents really are very nice. They told me that if I need to buy any new clothes or anything, then I should just tell them. And my host dad is trying to set up some violin lessons for me with a Rotary colleague, which is really great of him to do.
 
I don't think anything else is really new. School is the same as it has been. I got grades for the half year mark and everything was vyborny (great) except for three classes!
 
Okay, that's all the news I have for now. I'll report back with more next month!

No comments: