Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Allyson Block -- Ecuador (Home Club: Ballston Spa)


September 2014


Ecuador is incredible. So much has happened my first month and a half that I do not know where to begin!
I suppose I’ll start with my family; my parents are Patricia and Wilo Guerro, and I have four siblings. The oldest, Crissy, is 25, married, and has a three year old daughter, Dana Sophia. My second sister, Isabella, is seventeen and currently on a rotary exchange to France. Living at home with me is Emilo, 15, and Pablito, 10. One thing that I really love about family here is how large and intimate it is. Crissy, and my grandparents live on the same city block as us, and we often get together for family dinners or outings. They have all been so warm and welcoming, I truly feel that I am a part of the family. I have become especially close with my mother, Pati, who I call Mamá. Taking the advice of our district’s beloved former Brazilian student, Gabi, I say yes to everything- this keeps me very busy always running errands with my ma into the beautiful town center of Otavalo. Whether it’s a trip to the fruit vendors, attending a meeting of the barrios at the city’s municipal buildings, or attending a little kid’s birthday party, I feel as though it is all an enriching part of the experience (and will help me the language).
On that front, my Spanish is coming along very well. I can understand nearly everything, I just struggle producing it on my own, ie. Talking and writing. Nonetheless, I am able to communicate with ease everything that is necessary with my family. All of my exchange student friends tell me that they’re so jealous of and impressed by my language abilities. At first I was very proud… and then I realized that as Europeans the majority of them are learning Spanish as their third language (on top of their native tongue and English). And for many others Spanish is going to be their fourth language!
Yet, of course, there have been some growing pains- mostly related to the high school. I am attending the Bilingual academy of the city’s dioceses, a private Catholic school in the neighboring city of Ibarra. Although my school is very old and beautiful, it presents a logistical headache when one considers daily transportation. My “school bus” comes to my house every morning at 5:40 so I can make the more than an hour commute.
At first I had thought that my school would be very strict, and in some ways it is, but I soon realized that the largest emphasis is on aesthetics. For example, girls cannot have painted finger nails, and boys must keep their hair cut very short. If the teacher does not find their hair length satisfactory they will call them out in class and sometimes make them leave school.
We have three different uniforms: the ‘parade’ for Mondays (when we gather in the school courtyard to sing the national anthem), the ‘daily’ for Tuesday through Thursday, and a gym uniform for Fridays. For the parade uniform alone I spent $100- for we had to buy the cloth separately and then take it to a dress maker. Everything related to school is very expensive. Some of my unexpected costs included purchasing text books, and new sneakers, because I didn’t have the correct colored ones for my uniform. Additionally, I have to pay a monthly tuition fee (on top of the initial cost to matriculate) of $55...

Yet, I realize that the most important thing is that I learn the language. All of my classmates are very kind and outgoing and speaking to them is definitely helping me accomplish this goal- I am constantly being invited to out to different events. The Ecuadorian culture is so warm, the people all love their country and are eager to show it off to me so that I’ll love it too.
I haven’t been all that homesick yet- so far I’ve been trying to look at it all as a huge adventure! I would like to thank you all in my sponsoring district for making this incredible opportunity a reality!

No comments: