Thursday, April 15, 2010

Emma Fullem -- Taiwan

April 4, 2010

Miao-li Mountain Club

In March, I attended one Rotary meeting. With the other exchange students in my district, I had a weekly tai-chi class to learn a routine that we will perform in mid-April in front of about 2,000 Rotarians. I’ve seen our costumes, and supposedly we get to keep them, which is really exciting. In the middle of March, I went on a bus trip with about 50 other exchange students to the east of Taiwan. Although the whole of Taiwan is smaller than NY, I’ve never been to the east coast before, so it was really interesting to see lots of famous places for the first time. My favorite place was Taroko National Park, which is a huge area filled with gorges, forests and waterfalls. I just wish we had more time there, since we only had an afternoon in the whole park!
In March, I was mildly sick for about a week, which gave me an insight into the Taiwanese medical system-totally different than the United States’! I think the most shocking part to me was how eager the Taiwanese are to take medicine to clear up your sickness-even a cold!
I’ve now been in my new family for about a month, and I’m really happy here. I have three siblings here and it’s really easy to connect with them so that’s helped me feel a lot more at home. I’m already worried about leaving them in June!

No comments: