Thursday, March 4, 2010

Emma Fullem -- Taiwan

March 4, 2010

Host Club: Miao-li Mountain Club, Taiwan

In February, I had the last 3 weeks of my winter vacation. I spent 1 week of that in Taipei with a ROTEX member, Jessica Hsia, who stayed at my house 3 years ago through Rotary. I spent a lot of time with her family, which was really cool since I met them when they came to visit her in NY. I also got to see lots of new places, like a famous geological park and some really interesting museum exhibits. At the end of vacation, I celebrated Chinese New Year with my host family, which was very interesting. It seemed to mostly center around big meals! Very similar to American Thanksgiving or Christmas, except it lasted for about a week! I also moved families in the end of February.
In the last month, I have attended one official Rotary club meeting that was the first one of the Lunar Calendar, so it was mainly just a potluck with very little actual business. On New Year’s Eve, I went to a Rotarian’s house for dinner with my host family. Also, I had three tai-chi practices with the other exchange students in preparation for a performance in April at the district conference. Last weekend, my district’s exchange students joined with a larger district in Taipei for a second orientation where we went over the benefits of learning Chinese and of following all the guidelines and rules for exchange.
I am in good health, and trying to make the most of my last 3.5 months in Taiwan!

No comments: